"May you LIVE all the days of your life" - J. Swift

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A great entrepreneur and a sucker

Continuing my "learnings from a child" section:


I was at my parents’ house one day, home from college, studying for a test.  At the time, no one else was home, and I heard a soft knock at the door.  As I opened the door, I looked down to see a visitor about 4 years old standing with a cup full of berry-type items that had come from a nearby tree, I assume.  He looked up at me and, in his best salesman approach, asked, “Would you like to buy these?  They can be fun and you can throw them at people.”  (The last part was particularly effective :).  I thought, “Just what I’ve been looking for (right?).”  I asked his price, and he didn’t really have an answer for me… I kind of got the impression he didn’t expect to get past step 1 to have to worry about setting an amount.  Well, I told him to wait for a minute.  I went into my former bedroom and found a cup full of pennies.  I grabbed a handful, brought it to the door, and exchanged the pennies for my new artillery.  He very excitedly took the pennies, thanked me and left.  I smiled, and went back to the kitchen table to study further, periodically glancing and grinning at my cup of berries.  I felt good… I mean, he had a sales pitch, took his time to collect the items and really earn that money… and I got to support him.  Yes!  I think I was his first sale of the day (maybe his life), and I felt good that I was able to contribute to a small business such as his. 

About two minutes later came another soft knock.  I thought to myself, “Oh no… I don’t think I want to buy any more things to throw at people, I’m already well stocked as I haven’t yet had an opportunity to use what I already have.”  But I shouldn’t have worried.  As I opened the door, I realize it’s not the same kid.  It must have been his brother.  This child had no cup of berries.  No real sales pitch. Empty handed, this boy just looked up at me and said, “Can I have some money?”
 
Hmm… Not the same entrepreneurial spirit,… but he must know a sucker when he sees one, and, so, I rewarded his efforts somewhat as well.  But, you know, I’ve learned as well… so don’t go asking me for money!  I’m not going to give it to you.  Or maybe I will, but it’s just going to be a handful of pennies. 

No comments: