"May you LIVE all the days of your life" - J. Swift

Friday, June 1, 2012

Failure leads to Success


I teach my students something called the Eight Keys of Excellence as part of our character education and classroom management.  It includes stating the keys every day as follows, which we recite as we do hand motions for each key:

Values plus behavior equal integrity
Failure leads to success
Speak with good purpose
This is it! (meaning enjoy each moment)
Commitment, commitment, commitment
Ownership
Flexibility
Balance

We had lessons on each key at the beginning of the school-year, and periodically share moments throughout the year of when we’ve seen these keys in action in and out of our classroom. 

Well, one day we did a simulation that I designed.  In the creation of this simulation, I didn’t communicate something effectively, and also redesigned something that didn’t go well at all…  the combination of mistakes resulted in really hurting someone’s enjoyment of the activity.  In fact, he was in tears for a good half hour.  I felt super bad (understatement).  While it wasn’t all my fault, some if it was directly my fault, and I took full responsibility, and it broke my heart.  I was ready to never do the simulation again (a simulation I spent many hours creating).  As I spoke with the students after the simulation, I apologized for the negative aspects and let them know it was my fault that it hadn’t gone more ideally and that I didn't think I would do it again in future years.  One of my students raised his hand and said, “It’s ok, Miss Durrant, failure leads to success.  You can just change it for next year and it will work out,” after which the other students, including the one hurt, responded in agreement. 

Point happily and emotionally taken.  Thanks, students, for getting how these keys work, so readily offering forgiveness for my mistakes, and reminding me to get back up and make it even better rather than simply admitting defeat and letting it get the best of me. 

1 comment:

Mary Ann Carlile said...

What a neat moment to have. Just when I think kids are dumb and have nothing to offer...haha, jk!