"May you LIVE all the days of your life" - J. Swift

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

What makes it worth the struggle

I don't think I could adequately express my gratitude for the profound friendships I have in my life right now.  I feel in literal awe as I reflect on the love and concern that has been shown to me in the past week especially.  Normally that is felt when a loved one dies, or in some other tragic or heartbreaking event.  That is not what has happened.  I am simply working through a decision that is a difficult one for me to make.  Funny thing is, I have everything I need in my life right now.  Literally.  Friends and family who love me, the Gospel, happiness, peace, good opportunities in every aspect of my life,... I could go on for pages.  NOTHING is lacking.  Except an answer to a question I have... A decision that for some reason is one of the most difficult decisions I've ever made.  And as I've pondered so much and prayed so intently the past few days, I've wondered if half the reason I'm going through it all is not just to recognize the arms I have around me.  Because that is exactly what I've witnessed:

*  A friend who called and talked to me on his lunch hour today about this just because he was thinking of me and my decision.
*  Another friend who, completely inspired in my opinion, came over just when I needed him to, unsolicited, and gave me the opportunity to ask him for a blessing on Sunday.
*  Friends who included me in their fasts this past Sunday.
*  Friends who let me know they put my name on the temple prayer roll.
*  Friends who have sent me texts & emails letting me know they're thinking of me
*  Others who have come over or gone hiking with me because they wanted to take time to listen and share their experiences to help me think through things.
*  Coworkers who have prayed for me, even though some are not very religious.
*  My amazing mom who has taken time to talk with me and pray for me and counsel me :)

Really... it comes down to people consistently being there for me.  Taking time out of their busy lives for "little old me" as they say.  The thing is... (and this is what is so amazing to me about this outpouring): what I'm going through... IT'S NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL. I get that.  It really isn't.  I mean, not to anyone but me, and yet I have literally been moved to tears by how much love I've felt in such a simple thing. They've shown me how to be.  And if that's what all this is about, it has been worth the entire struggle.

No comments: