"May you LIVE all the days of your life" - J. Swift

Monday, May 28, 2012

The Child’s Mite


And more learnings from children...

A close friend of mine was preparing for a mission, and, knowing the cost of a mission and her family’s lack of money at the time, was discussing her worries with her mother one day.  Her young sister, about 8 or 9 years old, overheard this conversation.  Later, an envelope appeared underneath my friend’s bedroom door.  Inside the envelope was a small amount of money, and a note that read, “It’s not much, but it’s all I have, and I want you to have it.”  It was from this sister. 

This girl got it.  And taught me a lesson that has lasted more than half my life.  Money is a tool to be understood and used for the best purposes.  Not something to be preserved only for our gain.  And the same girl has become a friend who has taught me more lessons than she knows because she does get it.  She understands that people and relationships are more important than any “thing” in life.  She has grown into a woman that I respect and admire. 

No comments: