"May you LIVE all the days of your life" - J. Swift

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Lucky


A question was asked today in relief society… I can’t remember the exact wording, so I’ll put it in my own words: What’s an experience you’ve had with a child that taught you something because they really got it... because they really understood what’s important and good?  One of those things that as adults we sometimes miss or forget?

Being a teacher, these things happen all the time.  But so often I neglect to record them and thus forget them.  So, I’m going to write a few I do remember here over the coming days.  Here goes…

LUCK

One day I was running in the neighborhood, my characteristic three-mile run.  I was kinda in my own world… listening to my music, trying to forget that I was in the most strenuous, uphill portion of this particular route, when I saw a boy of around 6 or 8 years old wave me down.  I didn’t know this boy… I was far enough away from my own street that I had never seen him before.  And, while I normally pressed through this unfavorable part of my run, I slowed to a stop, muted my music, and asked what he needed.  In great excitement, he said, “Come here!  I want to show you something.”  Now, I don’t know about you, but I just couldn’t say, “No, kid, I’m on a strict schedule… gotta keep running.”  Yeah, pretty much like anyone would have done, I decide to humor him and follow him over to his front lawn.  I was the one he humored in the end.  He crouched down, had me do the same, and showed me, among many 3 leaf clovers, a 4 leaf clover… then loudly exclaimed, “I’m LUCKYYYYY!!!”   (and yeah, he carried that second syllable of “lucky” on for a while in the same loud voice).  I celebrated with him for a moment, and eventually continued on my run with a smile on my face that I couldn’t wipe away.  It was a simple but profound moment for me.  Why?  What did that experience teach me?  Well, how about to take time to notice the small gifts around me, the glass half full perspectives in all the simpleness that surrounds each day.  I learned the value of sharing that with others, too.  Because I was grateful to him for sharing his 4 leaf clover with me.  He shared his luck and his spirit at that moment in a contagious manner.  And I was happier for it.  I felt maybe a little more than lucky that I "ran" into him that day.   


No comments: