"May you LIVE all the days of your life" - J. Swift

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Trying to figure out Good, Better, Best

Picture and musings from a moment of pondering in the mountains this morning:




I’ve been struggling lately with the good, better, best concept. (See Elder Oak's insightful talk: Good, Better, Best).

I’ve been doing plenty of "good" with my time.  In fact, my life has been blessed with far more "good" opportunities than I feel I deserve.  Somewhat overflowing with the "good", I've been struggling to find the time to do even the "necessary" some days.  

So... I’ve come to learn the past week through a bit of pondering that this is my challenge right now: When I am presented with a bunch of good, enough to completely fill my days,... am I willing, really willing, to sift through it and follow the "best" ahead of the "better" and "good"?  Especially if the "good" seems more fun and inviting?  Or will I at least seek to know if the "good" I'm filling my time with is also what's best?

Sadly, I’ve figured out that this is my latest trial by failing... a few times.  Or more.  See, while the "good" brings with it many memorable and fun moments and experiences for which I am so grateful, when there could have been something better or best to do in those moments, I have been feeling the rough impact on myself (anxiety, a feeling that something's not right, not knowing what to do,...) and on others (hurt, etc.) in the aftermath.  However, thanks to the idea that there still is a lot of good in my life, perhaps Heavenly Father is still giving me time to learn the intended lesson(s).

I know that our Heavenly Father loves each of us and knows us intimately and the challenges that we face.  He knows perfectly well what we are prepared to learn, and gives us mountains to climb (President Eyring, General Conference April 2012) when necessary, or sometimes hills, or sometimes we just get to learn it on a level walk.  All in an effort to prepare us for unimaginable blessings ahead.

How grateful I am for the atonement that allows us to learn, be taught, be healed, and be prepared.  I was studying today about the balm of gilead, and grateful once again for a testimony of the truest healing balm,... that when things are hard… when struggles and sorrows are great in my life, I am blessed enough to know exactly where to turn.  And by turning there, I find peace.  I find healing.  

Undeserved, but profoundly grateful, I thank my Savior for his loving, continuing, and eternal gift of the atonement, and the mercy of a loving Heavenly Father who provided the perfect plan of salvation, and continual lessons along the way to help me prepare to attain that salvation through the power and blessing of the atonement.

As I keep these things in mind, I have a feeling I will be able to master good, better, best... not through my own power, but through His.... If I submit my will to that true power.


No comments: