"May you LIVE all the days of your life" - J. Swift

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

What was I thinking?

I'm considering renaming my blogsite "Dear Laura", in honor of the one whom I believe to be my only (consistent anyway) reader.  :)

Sometimes I remember things I've done and think, "What was going through my head at the time I decided THAT would be a good idea?"

I was with some long-time friends on Sunday, and one reminded me of a few things I did to help her make it through high school and college. Oh, but the high school ones... Yeah, they weren't good things. They were more like,... Hmm, what's the word?  Oh yeah, cheating.  For example, I wrote a research paper for her.  It was actually a partnered one, so I wrote it for myself, too.  She says she paid me for that.  Great!  I accept bribes.  And I don't even remember.  I hope I did something good with that dirty money.

Another, I took her geometry take-home final for her. Yes, I really did.  I remember that one well.  I told her she was going to have to stay by me and I would explain everything I was doing so I could feel a little better about it. I gave up on that idea quickly enough and sent her on her merry way as I finished the test.  The question came up tonight from some other friends, "Why did you do that?" Because, for those who know me, that really is out of character... especially for present day me.  Well, maybe back then I was a little more rebellious.  Or maybe I just liked math and wanted to have some fun with a geometry test.

I didn't know the real answer for why I did it for her, though, so I deferred to my friend who reminded me: "Well, it's because I had Mr. ____ as a teacher, and you knew he was no good so it wasn't my fault I didn't know what I was doing in math."  Upon hearing that, I slipped back into that same high school mentality and thought, "Oh yeah, That's right.  Of course."  Then realized, "What!?  Why was that enough to suddenly make it ok to cheat?"  Ahhh... sometimes I forget there really is a rather significant growing character phase in those middle, high school, and early college years.  Good news though, I  She passed the test and graduated.  And I have repented.  Win/Win.

1 comment:

Marinda said...

wow! those cheating stories are awesome. now that i know you're updating your blog again, i'll be reading!