"May you LIVE all the days of your life" - J. Swift

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Thai curry recipe

I've had several people recently ask me for my recipe for red pineapple curry.  I just figured I'd post the description of how I make it on here for all to see at once.  It looks wordy, but it's one of the easiest things you can make once you have the ingredients. Also, all amounts can vary to taste... I just give amounts to give you a starting point option.
 
1 large or 1 1/2 to 2 small cans coconut milk (I like Arroy-D or Chakaoh... you can buy in asian stores for around .89 per can, or grocery stores for $2+)
2 T. red curry paste (I like Arroy-D or Mae Ploy... again - at an asian store for under $2 that supplies you with probably more than 10 recipes worth of curry paste.  The Arroy-D version is a little milder than the other)
1 T. olive or canola oil
2 chicken breasts
1/2 onion, chopped to desired size
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped to desired size
brown sugar (or white works too) -- 2-3 T. depending on how sweet you like it
2 T. fish sauce (optional)
fresh basil... maybe a small handful (very inexpensive at an asian market)
1/2 or more can pineapple tidbits
cashews
 
Heat oil in sauce pan. add curry paste and stir fry for about a minute to release the flavor, then add the coconut milk.  Mix in to blend the curry paste and coconut milk into a curry sauce.  When it's boiling, cut the chicken into the sauce (I use scissors to cut in thin strips right into the sauce, but you can cut in pieces or however you like it).  Add onions and bell pepper.  Add sugar.  Keep on soft boil until chicken is cooked.  Add basil and cashews and cook 1 or 2 more minutes and remove from heat. Add pineapple (I hear you can add some of the juice too but I haven't done this).  Serve over rice.  (Throughout the process you can add more of the paste or milk or anything else until it gets to the flavor you like).

1 comment:

Amy said...

This sounds good, Cheryl! I just made a recipe of chicken tikka masala that someone based on what they ate at the Bombay House. I am so addicted to curry, it's scary! I've got to fix this new recipe as soon as my family can stand curry again.