"May you LIVE all the days of your life" - J. Swift

Monday, June 23, 2008

Telluride Revisited... with a side trip to Moab

Last year Christian and I loaded up the Vacura(so titled because the "A" for Acura on his trunk was turned upside down thus becoming a V) and headed to Telluride for the bluegrass festival. It was fantastic! We saw the Counting Crows, Emmylou Harris, Bela Fleck, Guster, Sam Bush, and others. When the concert trip was over I had fallen in love with that little town, and we decided we needed to make a return trip the next year but with more people. I thought those words were said in vain, but it actually happened.







The Vacura returned for trip 2 last week, and we brought along my dad's pick-up (in order to deliver some clothes for Kuhl to sell in their booth at the festival) as well as Brian, Connie, and Cherissa. The concerts we hit this year were Arlo Guthrie, Ani DeFranco, and Ryan Adams. All were excellent. Arlo kept us laughing with his left wing humor, Ani kept me mesmerized with her amazing guitar playing abilities, and Ryan had quite the variety of music in store for us.



We had a fantastic camp spot just outside of Moab at Ken's Lake. I highly recommend this campground... just don't miss it like we did. It was midnight and we couldn't find the entrance... It took us over an hour, but we did get to it quite by accident in the end and it was well worth the wait.


Below are pictures of the concert at Telluride, and of the best corn on earth.






Just outside Telluride at a lookout spot. This was the most beautiful drive and though the picture doesn't do it justice, I did get to use my new gorillapod. That thing rocks!

And our last moment in Colorado was also in Arizona, Utah, and for my first time: New Mexico. Yep, we paid the $3 each to stand on a stone that declared the only point where four states meet. Hey, It's good to do once.

**************************************************************************

********Memorable moments from the whole 72 hour trip:*********

**************************************************************************



* Not only do I get my first speeding ticket in 12 years simply from following someone and not paying attention, but it was in practically the same spot my bro Mike got a ticket 24 hours before. We really are twins.

* Girl at Telluide passes out right in front of us, foaming at the mouth... (not a pleasant memory)

* Free Kuhl clothes

* Arlo: If we lived in a world filled with peace and love it would be a heck of a lot more difficult to make a positive contribution in this world.

* We went to Moab to watch a movie (Get Smart) -- cuz there was nothing else to do

* Kicked out of a restaurant in Moab

* Hiking to Delicate Arch in the moonlight at midnight = Awesome!

* Sleeping in the back of the pick-up

* Genevieve and I having to be rescued in the river: both the most exciting and the most frightening moment of the trip all in one.

* Christian: "I just don't look that good in a Camelbak"

1 comment:

Laura said...

Sounds like a heck of a trip. I wish I could have been there to see the ticket and you getting kicked out of a restaurant. Reminds me of old times. Oh, we just saw Get Smart and laughed our heads off. Nice!